Return to the Kerikeri Home Page

The Grand Plan-Latest update on Restoration process

Kerikeri Steam Trust INFO

Haul Out 9th March 09

The Minerva was named after the Ship Minerva which bought The Fencibles to New Zealand during 1848. They settled in the Howick area of Auckland

SS The Minerva is
in following Books

"Steamers down
the Firth"
W A Laxon available
via Library system

"Tall Spars,
Steam and Gum"

-a history of the
Kaipara from early European Settlement 1854-1947
by Wayne Ryburn. Purchase 
09 -412 9255       

The Minerva as a family boat.

Kerikeri Steam Trust

Kerikeri Steam Trust

Restoration of 1910 65 ft Steam Ferry

 History of SS THE MINERVA 
SS The Minerva
Built in 1910 by Charles Bailey Jn for
Clevedon Steam Navigation Co to ferry passengers between
Auckland and Clevedon
"The Minerva" has had a colourful life and has spent her last 98 Years as:
  • 1910-1922 Passenger Ferry carrying up to 240 passengers
  • 1922-1945 Towing logs on the Kaipara Harbour for West's Mill at Helensville
  • 1945 Refitted by Lewis McLeod to become one of the largest pleasure launches on Kaipara
  • 1964 purchased by Riverton Fisherman Charles Lorne Waitara. Spent 8 to 10 months in Chathams-as a bonk boat!
  • 1971 Returned to Bluff sold to Soufamaki Fisheries of Invercargill
  • 1973 Sold to Thomas Clifford Russell painted her black and named her "Smackwater Jack of New York" 
  • 1974 Sold to Henry Norcross of Henderson, renamed "The Minerva "
  • 1976 Sold to Murray O'Brian for maintenance and family cruising.
  • 1982 Sold to Dave Jones for further maintenance -the family lived aboard for 11 years cruising the Hauraki Gulf and fishing
  • 1993 Sold to Nigel Foster former Navy man. Used as a platform to view the America's Cup and for fishing charters.
  • September 2008 Gifted to Kerikeri Steam Trust by Nigel Foster for restoration back to its origin as a Steam vessel.

    If anyone has photos of "The Minerva" during her sea life or maintenance period please contact the Kerikeri Steam Trust. P.O.Box 973, Kerikeri 0245, Northland, New Zealand.
Model of 1910 era built by Colin Childs Wellsford 


A New Zealand Community web site
Copyright © NZ Community Development Trust